Råde kirkelige fellesråd > Kirkene > Summary in english

Summary in english

Råde church

The situation of the church

The church stands at the top of a moraine that runs through the district. The so-called "Old King`s road" from Oslo passed the northern side of the church-yard.East of the church we find the mortuary chapel, which was built in 1933.

The church and its history

It is supposed that this medieval stone-church with its mighty tower was built about 1200. The round arches indicate a great age. In old documents the church is first mentioned in 1330. In bishop Eystein`s rental ( "The red book" ) it is said that the church in 1397 owned 23 farms in Råde, and 37 outside the parish.

There is reason to believe that the church took fire at the end of the 16th century, probably after a stroke of lightning. When the church was repaired in 1860-62, melted lead was found in the walls, and under the floor in the entrance hall ( the so-called weapon-hall ) some metal pieces were lying, most likely remnants of the church-bells. The present alter-piece was accomplished in 1638, by Knud Billedsnider from Moss.

In 1723 the church was sold to the owner of Tomb manor-house, general Lützow. For 130 years to come the church belonged to different owners of Tomb, who got all its income and kept the building in good repair. In 1853 the church was sold to the local authorities at the price of 4.400 NK.

As mentioned above the church underwent a repair in 1860-62. This was a radical one. The round style was replaced by pointed style. All the old ornaments, the altar-rails, the pulpit, the font and the galleries disappeared.

The ritual vessels are old. Oldest is the mass-dish on the font. It is supposed to be a work from the 16th century, made in Nürnberg. The candlesticks are from 1737. An arm-chair dates from about 1750, and finally there is a chair from the second part of the 18th century, both in rococo style.

In the tower are two bells. The inscription of the largest one tells that it was moulded in 1625, during the reign of Christian IV. The other one bears the year 1766. The present organ was bought in 1962. It has 16 stops and was built by Conrad Christensen, Copenhagen.

Till 1862 there was a mortuary cellar under the southern part of the church. It had two small quadrangular openings in the wall, still visible from the outside. The cellar was refilled in 1862. 

The restoration of the church

This restoration aimed at reconstructing as far as possible the original building, under the leadership of the architect Arnstein Arneberg. The side-galleries, put up in 1862, were removed; the choir, the windows and the arches were altered to harmonize with the Romanesque style. Among other things the font, the pulpit and the benches were renewed. The nave holds approximately 200 people. The present piqture of the altar is painted directly on wood, by Thomas Blix in 1725, representing the Lord`s supper. It was accidentally discovered during the restoration, behind another picture - "Jesus on the cross" - painted in canvas. The picture on top of the altar-piece shows The Ascension.

The old, venerable temple of God has played a prominent part in the consciousness of the parishioner down the centuries to this day. Here generations have met the Gospel and received the sacraments and have been renewed and strengthened in their daily life and work.

Lützow`s mortuary chapel

This chapel stands on the northern side of the church. It is supposed that it was built about 1730 as a private mortuary for the Lützow family. On the outside there is placed a slab on the wall, with Sommerhjelm`s device on it. Sommerhjelm - who otherwise became Prime Minister in 1822 - owned the church till his death in 1827. The sanctuary was opened in 1940`s, and converted into a vestry during the restoration carried out in 1957-60. In the course of time 9 coffins were placed in this room, the last one probably in 1845. Some of the coffins are likely to be restored and placed in a crypt.